____________________________________________________________________________

17.10.11

Chronologic

Working with the elderly, I've found my mind has become a little preoccupied with the notion of time. How little of it we get, and how, in the blink of an eye it will all be over.


The thing about time
though, is you can't stop it. Not in the happiest moments- no strength or will or wish wish wishing on stars or the feet of rabbits or the V-shaped bones of fowl can stop that tick tocking time.

And you can't speed it up. No matter how hard you try to close your eyes and clench your teeth to meet time in the dark and bellow and wail and beat your fists it will tick it's even tempered tock one second after another and it will pay no care to your pain or joy- endurance, jubilance, or rib rocking heart shredding ache. Tick tock tick.


You can break all of the watches you want. You can terrorized timepieces to extinction, but don't get too upset when you still see that sun rolling across the sky, a white hot bully reminder that your life- this time- it's not your own.

No money can buy it off. No power of humans, strength, or reason can even affect it in the slightest- can cause is the lightest of missteps, the tiniest of pauses. Tick tock tick.
So let's enjoy it while we have it, so we can't miss it when we don't.

This is why I choose to live madly; to love madly.
I am keenly aware of how little time we have to do it.
On Earth, at least.

Have a beautiful day, readers.

All the best,
Grace Elizabeth.




8 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Time is precious. It's even more precious how we choose to spend it. I couldn't be happier choosing to spend my time with you. You're so smart and thoughtful and beautiful not only physically and persnality-wise but in the way you think and speak and write. You're my everything <3 <3

    Eternally yours,

    Yeti

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, so true. my husband lost his grandma this weekend, and suddenly everything, especially time, seems so incredibly fleeting. an entire life lived, in the blink of an eye. i needed this post today, so thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear that.
    It doesn't sound like you needed more of a reminder of how fleeting this life is :/
    I know you're living a great one though, ma'am.
    Thank you for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeti: You're the whole reason I feel this way. Every day waking up to the sun and your gorgeous clear blue loving eyes. You are the reason I want any time here at all/ <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Your choosing to live madly quote reminds me of the quote my blog title is from. One that I've had memorized since I wrote it on the back of my bedroom door in high school:

    “The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

    I'd love to hear more stories about your work with the elderly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to read your writing again! My favorite part is the last paragraph. It reminds me of an old Appalachian song, 'O, Death'.

    "The old, the young, the rich or poor, all alike to me, you know.
    No wealth, no land, no silver, no gold, nothing satisfies me but your soul."

    Have a beautiful forever, while forever lasts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: What a beautiful quote! I couldn't agree more :) I did a post just a little while back about that concept too: http://mason-jar-memories.blogspot.com/2011/09/asthma-attack.html

    While the phrase 'working with the elderly' conjures images of hospices and charity work, I actually only greet them, have various conversations, and walk them into an office, heh. (I'm the receptionist for a medical facility.) But it serves as a reminder of our mortality nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casey: Heh I said I'd post when I had anything decent! :P

    While that lyric is a little on the morbid side haha, it's true. That day is coming for us all, and no one knows when. Why do none of us live like it? D:

    ReplyDelete